A Scottish Hospital Now Offers Rehab for Cryptocurrency Addiction
Castle Craig Offers Relief for Crypto Addiction
One of Scotland’s premier rehabilitation clinics now offers treatment for cryptocurrency trading addiction.
Castle Craig Hospital, which has provided gambling, drug, and alcohol rehab for thirty years, has decided to accommodate cryptocurrency addiction into its gambling program. Now, those struggling with cryptocurrency trading or market obsession can seek treatment through the clinic’s general gambling rehabilitation.
In a press release for the announcement, the clinic likens cryptocurrency trading addiction to the same behavioral addiction behind gambling. The market’s extreme volatility can induce a feeling of euphoria when users make a winning trade, a stimulus that is nothing shy of a high. Dr. Mark Griffiths, a professor of behavioral addiction at Nottingham Trent University, indicates that “[addiction] to cryptocurrencies is a sub-type of online day-trading addiction…akin to gambling addiction.”
“[The] high risk, fluctuating cryptocurrency market appeals to the problem gambler. It provides excitement and an escape from reality. Bitcoin, for example, has been heavily traded and huge gains & losses were made. It’s a classic bubble situation,” Chris Burn, one of Castle Craig’s gambling therapist said.
While cryptocurrency addiction won’t be getting its own program, afflicted individuals will have access to Castle Craig’s myriad therapy options, which include the 12 Steps, trauma therapy, equine therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
Worried that you or someone you know may be addicted to cryptocurrency day trading? Castle Craig says to look out for the following signs of addiction:
- Spend all their time and money on online trading;
- Experience financial problems;
- Chase their losses (they spend more to recoup their losses)
- Constantly borrow from family and friends, or steal to fund their habit;
- Believe a big win is about to happen;
- Pawn their belongings to raise funds;
- Lie to friends and family about the extent of their losses;
- Experience mood swings, depression and hopelessness;
- Constantly think about the next investment;
- Become restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop;
- Deny the problem;
- Try many times to to control, cut back or stop.
To learn more about the program and the clinic’s offerings, you can visit Castle Craig’s website.
This week’s cryptocurrency market was a mixed bag. Big boy Bitcoin is up 5.2%, Ethereum up 2.91%, XRP down 6.17%, and Litecoin is up 11.94%. As a result of the…
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Colin is a freelance writer and crypto-enthusiast based in Nashville, TN. When he’s not speculating crypto futures, he’s probably letting his hair down and/or heading to a music festival–because stereotypes exist for a reason.